Thursday, October 9, 2008

Visa in hand!

It has been well over a month since I last posted anything. My apologies. The quick version is my assignment in Dhaka was supposed to start on Sept. 25th. Around the end of August I received an email from the VSO office in Ottawa telling me the the VSO Dhaka office was now going to be closed for the entire month of Ramadan. That said my short trip to Washington DC ended up being a month long trip. Many fun adventures have occurred since while visiting some of my oldest and dearest friends in our nations capital.

All of that being said my Visa application was approved. My passport, now stamped with my two year Visa, is in hand! I leave this Saturday night and will arrive on Monday morning in Dhaka. I imagine the eleven hour time difference will be interesting to get used to.

Just what I will be doing in Bangladesh for the next two years? VSO Canada matched me with the Bangladeshi Non-Governmental Organization Uttaran (which means Upliftment in Bangla). I will be working for Uttaran as an Advocacy and Networking Adviser. As of now I understand my assignment to be focusing on the realm of Organizational Capacity. For a good explanation of just what that is simply click on the following link http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-43616-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html.

Once I arrive I will begin my month long in-country training course. Upon completion of this course I will then begin my assignment for Uttaran.

That is the quick version. Please feel free to send any questions or comments you might have to the following email address: notestofloatingplanet@yahoo.com